The Social Cooperatives of Limited Liability consist the first institutionally recognized legal form of social enterprises in Greece.
Their aim is the socio-economic inclusion and professional (re)-integration of people with psychosocial difficulties, contributing to their therapeutic rehabilitation and, as far as possible, to their self-sufficiency.
- They were established by the Law Ν.2716/99, article 12, for the “development and modernization of mental health services”.
- They are considered legal entities of Private Law.
- They can develop any commercial activity.
- They constitute Mental Health Units.
The members of the Social Cooperative of Limited Liability (KoiSPE) are divided into three categories:
First category: individuals with psychosocial problems above 15 years of age. Members in the first category should constitute at least the 35% of the total.
Second category: mental health professionals/employees in the mental health sector, constituting up to the 45% of the total.
Third category: other individuals, community institutions, municipalities, other natural and legal persons of public or private law, forming up to the 20% of the total.
The Supreme Body of the Cooperative is the General Assembly, which consists of all its members. The General Assembly monitors the cooperative’s function. Through the General Assembly, an Administration Board is elected. It is consisted by seven members.
Two (2) members of the Administration Board should be elected from the first category of members and five (5) others from the second and third category.
Τhe members of the second and third category should also elect a three member (3) Supervisory Council.
A Social Cooperative of Limited Liability (KoiSPE) can simultaneously be an enterprise producing products or providing services, a commercial enterprise, a supplier, etc. It can also develop activities of any kind: cultivation, animal breeding, tourism, services provision, etc., as well as cultural and educational activities.
In order to become a member, someone should purchase a mandatory cooperative share.
Who can participate in the production process?
- Employees with mental health problems on full or part time basis.
These employees continue to receive any pension or financial benefit they used to take.
- Other employees.
- Mental health professionals, who are moved from other organizations to the social cooperative personnel. Their wage is covered by their organizations or institutions.
- The Social Cooperative is not only an enterprise of social economy, a new form of business activity.
- It attempts to offer a viable solution to the impasse of social and employment exclusion of people with psychosocial difficulties.
- It is based on the principles of equal participation, cooperation and solidarity among its members.
- All the members of the cooperative participate equally (with one vote) in the decision-making on matters that concern them.
- It develops activities to meet educational, cultural and social needs.
- It forms a new conception of collective action
- Social Cooperative of Dodekanisa
- Social Cooperative of Chios
- Social Cooperative of Chania
- Social Cooperative Eu Zin
- Social cooperative Neoi Orizontes
- Social Cooperative Klimax plus
- Social Cooperative of west Thessaloniki
- Social Cooperative of Achaia “LIGHTHOUSE”
- Social Cooperative Fokidas
- Social Cooperative Attica «Diadromes»
- Social Cooperative Attica «Iliotropio»
- Social Cooperative of Arta – Preveza
- Social Cooperative Athens-Elpis
- Social Cooperative Kavala
- Social Cooperative of Imathia “Desmos”
- Social Cooperative Heraklion «Mitos»
- Social Cooperative of Lassithi «Periplous»
- Social Cooperative of Rethymnon
- Social Cooperative Archipelagos
- Social Cooperative of Trikala
- Social Cooperative of east Thessaloniki-Chalkidiki
- Social Cooperative of Evrou – Rodopis
- Social Cooperative FTHIOTIDAS-EURYTANIAS
- Social Cooperative of Larisa
- Social Cooperative of Attica «Plori»
- Social Cooperative of Ioannina – Thesprotia
- Panhellenic Federation of Social Cooperatives